Skip to main content

train to Neta's nuptials - II

So I told you about my journey from Orissa to Calcutta ..........
story so far is pretty simple ..just boarding and deboarding a train ....checking in and out in a city hotel........readalong for next course of action.

I fortunately hopped on the Gangasagar express at Sealdah station complex at about 1500 hrs dated 24th of May 2009........
Straightaway found the 3-tier bogie and rested my arse on an empty berth....
looked here and there for pretty faces ....noticed a few teenagers as well as bulky aunties........so the journey began .....Bengali countryside is so green ...differnts sorts of trees lined along rivulets and ponds were creating a magnificent vista....airconditioners were never so cool as now due to my huffing and puffing from the running before boarding the train.........

money is a great leveller.....I do remember my Banarasi days when WT was the norm........ Not because I was unable to pay the General fare of Railways but the ticket money could be better utitlized in purchasing essential commodities....say friday movie tickets for example.......so playing cat and mouse game with black suited staff was an essential pastime.....anyway why the hell Railways should charge a student for travelling merely few hundred kilometres....during British period students never paid a single penny to railways....so why now ?

Coming back to leveller topic....here I was possesing an e-ticket issued from my beloved laptop duly printed by my own office printer in vibrant colours ....
Seemed like I was the owner of this particular train ....what an idea buddy....think you own a train ...it is far better than owning a bike or four-wheeleer....
just a little bit of interior designing will do ....I don't like the navy blue look of coaches ...all the same ..why not use pink in coaches ...

So the train was trudling along the two fixed tracks & black suited personnel thronged my cabin ....Tickets please.....English is cool....
I took out ticket and displayed it like my prized possesion...........
T.T.E. examined it .....re-examined it ....threw a sad look towards me....
I was peplexed ..why this buddy is not telling me about my actual berth no.......
T.T.E. gave my ticket to one of his colleague and threw a sadistic look towads me...
I was worried by now and asked politely about the status of my waitlisted ticket.....
You are travelling without ticket as we do not have your name in our list !
The feeling was horrifying the prospect of spending whole night sitting in some corner seat was a great dampener......how can it be ? I paid hot digital money from my salary account and this asshole is telling me about WT status.....
my inner demons woke up and I argued with four T.T.Es at once before being politely told that it is the rule of the game mate.Never invest in a waitlisted e-ticket ...they told me to consult my travel agent for refund.....but who the hell was thinking about money here...one of them advised me to use on-journey ticket system ...I agreed but then came the clause that I won't get an exclusive berth....only the permit to roam around in AC coach ...may be this copartment was some sort of tourist place ? I refused to take their bait. One of them took me to a corner and straightaway told to shell out 500 bucks and bingo he will provide me an exclusive berth. I instantly agreed but suddenly my officer-like ego woke up.....
why on the earth I should satiate this corrupt fellow working under the aegis of Cental govt..... my organization buddy....our paymaster are the same.....being a Class I officer I was senior in hierarchy............
I told him about my status ...though he was non-apologetic about money but he told me rules ......I came back to the senior most T.T.E and convinced him about my nature of immediate governmental work in Bihar.....
No more fuss he offered me his own berth.......
case settled......hit the sack immediately.........woke up next morning by cacophony of street side hawkers........


To be continued...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chakravyuh : A moviegoer's opinion about Naxalism and beyond

Yesterday I went to a theatre .......Kesri in Bhubaneshwar ...It possess a large  70 mm. screen equipped with Dolby-Digital sound system & a big campus. It is  a classical single-screen theatre having the old world charm of movie-watching experience along with a dedicated team of ticket blackeers which are a hallmark of small-town India. The omnipresent blackeers signify the  economic theory of mismatch between Demand and supply. There are nearly 10,500 single-screen theatres in India in addition to approximately 900 multiplex screens.But the revenue share of multiplex is around 65% whereas single-screen theatres contribute only 35% . To put facts in perspective , a balcony ticket costing Rs. 80 in Kesari(Bhubaneshwar) is available with blackeer at a premium cost of Rs. 250, same amount which you will normally pay in PVR  in NCR of Delhi. Here comes the role of blackeers as they devour all the Rs. 170 on every ticket in collaboration with cinema owner.It is ...

Fistfight between friends - Part VI

  Dear readers, At the outset, I wish to clarify that this sixth part of the story is the last one in this series. The fight, which we had nearly 10 years back was a hazy picture in my mind earlier. When ,I wrote the first part, I was looking for the introduction,main body as well as other ingredients of the story. I had no idea how to write a readable story. So, I decided that I will write first and think later. Thinking is the biggest hurdle in the path of story-telling. I decided to take inspiration from story-writer of Salman Khan. This man is made of stainless steel . He wrote some of the worst stories ever in the annals of Hindi film history. Dabangg, Ready & Bodyguard........but these three films are also the biggest revenue-earner in Bombay. In fact,Body Guard earned 21 Crore on the opening day itself. There is an old saying in Benars,that you can not fool all the people all the time. But, this bugger has made a fool of us time and again.So, I decided to write ...

From Godavri to Kosi Part IV

Dear readers, I wrote Part III on last Sunday and writing again to continue the journey. I am not trying to rush things, just in a little hurry to  get the monkey off my back. Yes, this journey is like a monkey only, it keeps jumping in my head at regular intervals lest I forget it. So, the story goes on.... It was a  brightly lit night enveloped by milky-white moon in all its splendour when I had reached Brahmapur on 20th March, 2013. I was given king-like  reception by my dear friend Kunal. We talked, ate a lot and slept in Levis. Waking up was an assignment which  I hated in the early hours of 21st March. But, there was no option except moving my arse and going ahead.I woke up  around 0500 hrs., had a refreshing and large cup of tea, took bath, did some yogic postures to strengthen my back muscles. I became fit like a horse within few minutes of deep breathing exercises. I must thank Baba Ramdev for starting a yoga fitness wave in our country.It is ...