Skip to main content

train to Neta's Nuptials.......... Part III

Train to Neta Nuptials .... Part III

Few months have p
assed since I wrote about my experiences about Neta's wedding or in classical English so much water has flown beneath the unnamed Railway bridge between two instances of my writing.
Nevertheless today talking to some old buddies who didn't attended Neta's most auspicious moment but were eager to find out the details provided impetus to me to conclude this series....
so here I am at it again.....


I mentioned about the cacophony of sounds which woke up me in the early hours of 25th May 2009 morning........sleeping peacefully in a quickly -moving train is an experience in understanding mobility of life.........we can learn a lot from running train ..
atleast it precisely knows the destination it is headed to....it exactly knows the arrival time also.....can we say so about our life.....we keep running and running even without realizing where we are headed to..... I haven't known a man who can tell me about his final goal and the precise time this journey will take ...

In between these moorings ..a small boy asked me for tea..that ever present sound of 'Garam chai' hit my earlobes like a mellifluous musical note......
having Bihari tea was wonderful.....I could even smell the fragrance of coal-based earthen stove on which this tea was concocted by mixing generous amount of milk ,water and bruised tea particles..yeah bruised because in Bihar tea pot is only once washed after the end of the day..so each tea particles contributes in making of several litres of tea during whole day......that is the beauty of this ethnic tea...

I realized now that my train has entered Bihar and is passing through one of the most fertile river plains in the world.....why it happens with us ...we Biharis study like maniac....not in my case.......get a well-paying job and move out of our state to serve other people...yeah other people if you consider example of Europe...Orissa is to Bihar like France is to Germany..we speak different languages ..our ethos are different...why can't we find work in Bihar which will help our people make their life better..........why can't I live with my parents ? No answers my friend this is fate.

So,the train stopped at majestic Darbhanga station ....it has been the land of Darbhanga Maharaj...... I soaked myself in the familiar sounds of Railway station...Railways are great unifier...no matter whether you are in Arakkonam or Darbhanga...ambience is same...only colours are different.....

I called Neta ....obviously I carry a pricey handset and told him about my arrival. He advised me to hire a three-wheeled manual rickshaw and reach a particular Hotel which was booked for esteemed guests. After travelling through deeply pot-holed roads I reached the designated hotel and was pleasantly surprised to find a decent Hotel in Darbhanga. All this while it was drizzling mildly...may be rain gods were happy about my arrival. Naveen ,the lovable 'Mota' welcomed me and we hugged each other heartily.

Then , Neta called to say that Buadhau Band party including Nitin,Rajesh Pandey,Guar Yadav,Bachcha Abhay were arriving by a truly special train on that morning.This train took almost 02 days to reach Darbhanga from Delhi instead of usual 18 hours courtsey Budhau...who was the prime culprit.Here everyone was also abusing Tiwari for his wonderful lame excuse to avoid the journey.Truth is real casualty sometimes. Yash can better tell...I know each one of us has so much to do...just speak truth..I can very well understood your unavoidable work...tell so ...do not take help of ill-conceived Gas connection excuse.

Anyway Me and Naveen received them at station and after haggling with few drivers hired a three-wheeled auto rickshaw at dirt cheap rate which obviously I paid. How can you even expect that Budhau will do the honours.


It was already 10'0 'clock by then we orderd several plates of Chhole bhature alongwith that tea and ate to our heart's content. Someone informed us that Darbhanga town posses a beautiful pond in the middle of University nearby a famous Kali temple.Here was the opportunity to test our BHU-motivated swimming skill....remember the funny test for getting admission in swimming pool.....so many of us failed...

Me ...mota Naveen and Abhay decided to test the waters.It was raining heavily by now. we asked rickshaw pullers about the exact location and took a muddy shortcut route. It was like wading in flooded land ...water was everywhere in the town...sewage system was in a mess...but nevertheless we located the pond ..after a 15 minute brisk walk......

Simply took off our clothes and jumped in icy cold water..yeah it was like that only....me and Abhay reached middle of the pond in no time....but Mota got frightened of the depth of pond which seemed quite deep...he returned back to concrete steps and started child swimming at the shore.....

we were enjoying our frolicking in water...swimming backstroke ..sometimes trying new stroke ...trying to find out the actual depth and just relaxing on the water...have you heard of sleeping on water while rain drops are trickling on your forehead.....
It was simply joyous....we were happy..enjoying the rain-drenched beauty of nearby trees.....

Suddenly Mota shouted...Shanp..shanp... Snake my buddy....I thought he was playing pranks and started laughing ...abused him profusely in Banarsi terms...but then Abhay realized that indeed there was a snake swimming along with us and was infact approaching us..I just turned a glance and panickly started swimming towards Concrete steps....
what a frightening sight it was...a small yellow-skinned snake with open mouth was swimming nonchalantly ..may be he was also on outing but fortunately he turned back to respect our privacy and went to other side of the pond.................by then a local boy joined us and assured us that it was a non-poisonous snake and doesn't harm anyone usually.....

But who the heck was concerned with poison status of snake...a snake is snake ...on land you have so many options but in water your whole body is exposed....
NEVERTHELESS...on the insistence of local boy when he took the dip himself we entered the water again to enjoy the rain....after all pleasure blinds a man.....this swimming was real pleasure man ...you had to be there to feel the joy.....
we swam to full capacity of our lungs and came out exhausted ....

Now no one was willing to walk again on the same muddy and treacherous route.....we decided to hire a rickshaw but we had no money...why keep wallet in a free country ?
but as is the tradition we hired a rickshaw and promised to give him money at our hotel.....but again Riding three in a rickshaw is an Offence as
inculcated in us by our esteemed University but as this was somewhat similar to going to Lanka..we took the decision to violate this cardinal principle.....till date I am unable to understand why this offence was so dear to our University mandarins..any idea ?

It is quarter to twelve now. Time buddy.....I need to sleep ...will tell you in next blog.........
Happy reading......

Comments

  1. Dilip ,

    Really one after another you give a masterpiece of your writting..The vivid descriptionand epilogue which you give is simply out standing.. i througly enjoy reading your Blog specially the Description of Bihari Chai and hilariour Shaap episode ..I couldn`t control my laugh in office.. eagerly waiting for the rest

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing to see the way you have collected the words and framed the sentences.
    Mind Blowing - specially when i know each and every character. I have really a good time reading this. I smiled, laughed.
    At the time of reading there was no one was in office. Suddenly somebody came and it was hard for me to stop laughing :)Love to read the next one.
    Great Job Dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what you call tea... I call urea+ artificial colour + Some kind of fragrance.. etc etc.. I have stopped drinking tea on train or otherwise as well.. otherwise the blog is pretty good.. I have seen lesser usage of dictionary words than common words... and the snake episode is very funny...

    Best regards
    U.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chakravyuh : A moviegoer's opinion about Naxalism and beyond

Yesterday I went to a theatre .......Kesri in Bhubaneshwar ...It possess a large  70 mm. screen equipped with Dolby-Digital sound system & a big campus. It is  a classical single-screen theatre having the old world charm of movie-watching experience along with a dedicated team of ticket blackeers which are a hallmark of small-town India. The omnipresent blackeers signify the  economic theory of mismatch between Demand and supply. There are nearly 10,500 single-screen theatres in India in addition to approximately 900 multiplex screens.But the revenue share of multiplex is around 65% whereas single-screen theatres contribute only 35% . To put facts in perspective , a balcony ticket costing Rs. 80 in Kesari(Bhubaneshwar) is available with blackeer at a premium cost of Rs. 250, same amount which you will normally pay in PVR  in NCR of Delhi. Here comes the role of blackeers as they devour all the Rs. 170 on every ticket in collaboration with cinema owner.It is ...

Fistfight between friends - Part VI

  Dear readers, At the outset, I wish to clarify that this sixth part of the story is the last one in this series. The fight, which we had nearly 10 years back was a hazy picture in my mind earlier. When ,I wrote the first part, I was looking for the introduction,main body as well as other ingredients of the story. I had no idea how to write a readable story. So, I decided that I will write first and think later. Thinking is the biggest hurdle in the path of story-telling. I decided to take inspiration from story-writer of Salman Khan. This man is made of stainless steel . He wrote some of the worst stories ever in the annals of Hindi film history. Dabangg, Ready & Bodyguard........but these three films are also the biggest revenue-earner in Bombay. In fact,Body Guard earned 21 Crore on the opening day itself. There is an old saying in Benars,that you can not fool all the people all the time. But, this bugger has made a fool of us time and again.So, I decided to write ...

From Godavri to Kosi Part IV

Dear readers, I wrote Part III on last Sunday and writing again to continue the journey. I am not trying to rush things, just in a little hurry to  get the monkey off my back. Yes, this journey is like a monkey only, it keeps jumping in my head at regular intervals lest I forget it. So, the story goes on.... It was a  brightly lit night enveloped by milky-white moon in all its splendour when I had reached Brahmapur on 20th March, 2013. I was given king-like  reception by my dear friend Kunal. We talked, ate a lot and slept in Levis. Waking up was an assignment which  I hated in the early hours of 21st March. But, there was no option except moving my arse and going ahead.I woke up  around 0500 hrs., had a refreshing and large cup of tea, took bath, did some yogic postures to strengthen my back muscles. I became fit like a horse within few minutes of deep breathing exercises. I must thank Baba Ramdev for starting a yoga fitness wave in our country.It is ...