Skip to main content

Journey of a lifetime : From Godavari to Kosi




A journey begins with an idea. Idea is to reach somewhere, do something, meet someone. It begins in a vacuum but takes shape based upon the potency of idea. Journey, in other words is  the sum total of travel undertaken by a living being to fulfill a purpose/promise. 

Since, time immemorial, humans have been great travellers. It is no coincidence that some of the  great Indian thinkers e.g. Swami Vivekananda, Gandhijee, Tagore, Nehru, Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan,were great travellers. They institutionalized their ideas through travelling inside India as well as on foreign shores.

Imagine,Swami Vivekananda sitting several months in cramped and slow-moving Ships to reach Chicago to deliver “my dear brothers and sisters” philosophy.Now, Jet Airways can help you in eating breakfast in Mumbai and having dinner in Chicago on the same day.Isn’t this wonderful.

But, hold your breath for now, sitting /sleeping comfortably in Business Class and inhaling purified air along with packaged food/wine/water is not my idea of travel. I believe in philosophy of migratory birds. Siberian Cranes and Greater Flamingos are my ideal travellers.

 It is amazing that how these birds in groups travels several thousands kilometers just to escape the harsh winter in their homelands. The scientists among these birds need to invent Tree Heater or something similar to provide them cosy atmosphere. These birds always migrate towards Chilika or similar places when they perceive the tailwind to be favourable. But, once they start , nothing on the earth can stop them. Before proceeding, they also put on enough fat to provide them energy during journey as there are no  flying dhabas in the sky.Nearly, 100 species of foreign birds visit India every year just to get warm air in her lungs. So, I will dedicate my journey to these loveable birds.


Now you must be thinking that why I am talking about birds. But, I have my reasons to compare myself with these wonderful avians.03 days back, I started my journey to visit my native place Panchgachhia.

Presently, I live in  a small township in Simhadri which is nearly 40 Kms. in southern direction from Visakhapatnam situated on the Bay of Bengal. I breathe fresh air brought by winds from Indian Ocean on daily basis. This wind is exhilarating and far better than winds from filthy Yamuna which fills up the lungs of some of  my esteemed friends living in Delhi. Consider this blog as invitation from my side, you are free to dine with me in my lawn while my dog “Kalu” wags his tail and you eat food mixed with this salty air from Indian Ocean.


The primary reason why I decided to undertake this nearly 1700 Kms. journey was betrayal by Indian Railways. Indian Railways offered me a waitlisted Second  A.C. ticket having the prefix WL 39 and WL 40 in a train which travels from Kochi to Patna. 

This train also behaves like Siberian Cranes as it stores lots of fat in Pantry car and completes its journey by carrying few thousand Indians. It refused to grant me a place to sit/sleep under its wings as my tickets received final prefix of WL 5 and WL 6. I hate this WL word. It is not that I didn’t tried to remove WL status, I called up  my friends/friends of friends and their friends to cofirm my ticket through EQ. But, corruption in India has a well-defined and closed boundary, a common man of R.K.Laxman-type can not manipulate the ticketing system all the time.

But, I am a die-hard optimistic. I boarded the Patna Express at 1945 hrs. on 19th March 2013 at Visakhapatnam Railway Station. Again, I tried to manipulate the system and convince T.T.E. that how crucial my journey is, but the fat fellow failed to get tricked by my persuasion and denied any vacancy on the train.
  So, I decided to get off from the train as she(train) has stubbornly refused to accommodate me time and again, at the next stop VijayNagram which was nearly 68 Kms. away  from Vizag. May be , the name of this city should have been HarNagram which was more appropriate in my case. During my 60 minutes spent on train, I met honourable TTE saab 5 times and he flatly denied my request religiously each time.

So, I de-boarded Patna Express and drank grape juice to lessen the pain of leaving the train. Bought tickets for Vizag and boarded Konark Express at 2100 hrs. to go back to Simhadri. Here, in this train, berths were un-occupied and TTE was nowhere to be seen.It seemed  like everyone was in a hurry  to go Patna that day and no one was willing to go Mumbai. If only 06 people, who had reserved their tickets on Patna Express, had decided not to travel that day, the theme of this blog would have been different.

So, now flight travelling was the other option but  cost of the tickets were prohibitive.It seems, all airlines were hell bent upon snatching my hard-earned money. I have a suggestion for CEOs of airlines in India, if you are trying to loot common people then why pretend of niceties, go to ravines of Chambal, join the gang of Daku Malkhan Singh and loot openly.Otherwise, why a one-way ticket to Patna from Vizag via Delhi should cost 20,000 per passenger. If people are still grabbing tickets at such prices, we need to ask our Finance Minister why there are only 41000 Indians having annual income of more than 1 crore.

Hence, no air travel for me…..no trains for me ….then what is the next option…………you guessed it right……….Indian Roads are lifeline of India….they circulate energy to all parts of India. Good roads literally translates in good living standard for people.

Now, I think of my Swift Dzire, which will take me places and let me explore the land. It will keep me grounded for next few weeks. So, I will tell you story of my travelling inside Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Jharkhand, Bihar and West Bengal. I am inspired by Rahul Sanskrityayan, Father of Travel-literature in India. You  need to read “Volga se Ganga”to understand the intricacies of travelling. It is sad to know that Jeffrey Archer has replaced such great writers from our book-shelf.

But, again  Rome wasn’t built in a day, so I will stretch my narratives in few episodes……………you are supposed to visit my blog page again to know the journey. Waters of Godavari and Kosi are as different as chalk and cheese.
See you some other day……till then Happy reading.

Comments

  1. I hope there would be more stories related to your this new journey...All the best, keep on writing so that a lazy like me also feel to feel like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to see you enthusiasm for Train Travelling. But as you says, if you ticket is not confirmed, it's like hell. And to add on this, you have urgent work and heavy luggage ... OOOH.


    My Favorite from Rahul sankrityayan -
    सैर कर दुनिया की गाफ़िल,
    ज़िंदगानी फिर कहाँ?
    औ' जिंदगानी है ग़र फिर तो
    नौजवानी फिर कहाँ?

    Tatkal Seva .. is awsar per kaphi helpful hai.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is not fair....i was expecting a good narrative of ur whole journey after such a long intro....btw enjoyed ur way of writing again...so dont keep us waiting anymore and write the episodes fast....waiting eagerly!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The narration was exceptional...i read it in a single breadth. All i can say is "awesome..."Cant resist the temptation of the next episode so please hurry up...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chakravyuh : A moviegoer's opinion about Naxalism and beyond

Yesterday I went to a theatre .......Kesri in Bhubaneshwar ...It possess a large  70 mm. screen equipped with Dolby-Digital sound system & a big campus. It is  a classical single-screen theatre having the old world charm of movie-watching experience along with a dedicated team of ticket blackeers which are a hallmark of small-town India. The omnipresent blackeers signify the  economic theory of mismatch between Demand and supply. There are nearly 10,500 single-screen theatres in India in addition to approximately 900 multiplex screens.But the revenue share of multiplex is around 65% whereas single-screen theatres contribute only 35% . To put facts in perspective , a balcony ticket costing Rs. 80 in Kesari(Bhubaneshwar) is available with blackeer at a premium cost of Rs. 250, same amount which you will normally pay in PVR  in NCR of Delhi. Here comes the role of blackeers as they devour all the Rs. 170 on every ticket in collaboration with cinema owner.It is ...

Fistfight between friends - Part VI

  Dear readers, At the outset, I wish to clarify that this sixth part of the story is the last one in this series. The fight, which we had nearly 10 years back was a hazy picture in my mind earlier. When ,I wrote the first part, I was looking for the introduction,main body as well as other ingredients of the story. I had no idea how to write a readable story. So, I decided that I will write first and think later. Thinking is the biggest hurdle in the path of story-telling. I decided to take inspiration from story-writer of Salman Khan. This man is made of stainless steel . He wrote some of the worst stories ever in the annals of Hindi film history. Dabangg, Ready & Bodyguard........but these three films are also the biggest revenue-earner in Bombay. In fact,Body Guard earned 21 Crore on the opening day itself. There is an old saying in Benars,that you can not fool all the people all the time. But, this bugger has made a fool of us time and again.So, I decided to write ...

From Godavri to Kosi Part IV

Dear readers, I wrote Part III on last Sunday and writing again to continue the journey. I am not trying to rush things, just in a little hurry to  get the monkey off my back. Yes, this journey is like a monkey only, it keeps jumping in my head at regular intervals lest I forget it. So, the story goes on.... It was a  brightly lit night enveloped by milky-white moon in all its splendour when I had reached Brahmapur on 20th March, 2013. I was given king-like  reception by my dear friend Kunal. We talked, ate a lot and slept in Levis. Waking up was an assignment which  I hated in the early hours of 21st March. But, there was no option except moving my arse and going ahead.I woke up  around 0500 hrs., had a refreshing and large cup of tea, took bath, did some yogic postures to strengthen my back muscles. I became fit like a horse within few minutes of deep breathing exercises. I must thank Baba Ramdev for starting a yoga fitness wave in our country.It is ...