Skip to main content

From Godavri to Kosi Part IV

Dear readers,
I wrote Part III on last Sunday and writing again to continue the journey. I am not trying to rush things, just in a little hurry to  get the monkey off my back. Yes, this journey is like a monkey only, it keeps jumping in my head at regular intervals lest I forget it.

So, the story goes on....

It was a  brightly lit night enveloped by milky-white moon in all its splendour when I had reached Brahmapur on 20th March, 2013. I was given king-like  reception by my dear friend Kunal. We talked, ate a lot and slept in Levis.

Waking up was an assignment which  I hated in the early hours of 21st March. But, there was no option except moving my arse and going ahead.I woke up  around 0500 hrs., had a refreshing and large cup of tea, took bath, did some yogic postures to strengthen my back muscles.

I became fit like a horse within few minutes of deep breathing exercises. I must thank Baba Ramdev for starting a yoga fitness wave in our country.It is true that sleeping repairs the body muscles. After sleeping for 09 hrs. continuously, I can vouch for this medical fact. No matter, how much physical exertions you have suffered during day time......sleeping 09-10 hrs. will make you happy again to do the same tiresome routine during the day.

So, by 0600 hrs, I was itching to get back on my Rath. Here, I was the SARTHI as well as PARTH. If you are unaware about these terminology, then you have not read the greatest epic Mahabharata or watched the eponymous serial by B.R. Chopra.Krishna is SARATHI and Arjun is PARTH.

Those reader who do not had the privilege of watching this serial on Doordarshan from 1988 to 1990, I will share some anecdotes from my personal experience.This 94-episode serial was the blockbuster in those years of Black&White BPL or SALORA TV........this serial was broadcasted at 0900 hrs. on Sundays as this was the iconic time slot made famous by another great serial Ramayana .....but eventually in my personal opinion viewership of Mahabharata must have crossed that of Ramayana. You won't believe now that roads were deserted in all towns or villages of our country from 0900 hrs, to 1000hrs. due to this serial.

All middle/rich class people who had access to TV......or  if any of their relative/ friends/neighbours had TV, will watch it religiously....People used to walk/ travel miles just to watch the serial if electricity permits and some fortunate ones were able to watch it on Batttery Power..................I can still vividly recall the images of Draupdi Chir-Haran or fire-spewing arrows fight between Karna & Arjuna ....or the heavy grandfatherly baritone of Bhishma Pitamah.............."Yada Yada hi Dharmasya " sung by legendary Mahendra Kapoor was the anthem for all of us.........

Such frenzy can not be imagined now...neither it can be created for such a long . Boys of my generation or my immediate seniors were fortunate to witness it.

Nowadays, frenzy means getting a billion hits on You Tube like Gagnam Style did for few days !

It seems I am getting old. Because relishing the memories of bygone era and abusing present era is the hallmark of Uncle Jee or Dada Jee. But, I can't help......money is god now or how else you define the popularity of KBC ?

Coming back to journey.....I observed  my Dzire......tried to clean its upper body by bare hands and decided not to clean it further till I reach my sweet home.Because, even if I clean her up, within few hours again she will be back to square one courtsey our dust-filled roads.

Sat on the driving seat...fastened my seat belt and zoomed ahead around 0800 hrs after eating a sumptuos breakfast of Aloo Parathas/Satoo Parathas called Makuni in Patna, dripped heavily in desi i.e home-made ghee......No matter how many calories they contain but Aloo Parathas eaten with rock-like curd is heavenly......  .........

I filled up her tank also on the NH5......credit cards are great tools.......you do not even realize that Rs. 2500 has been eaten by the large belly of your car and she doesn't even care about your discomfort in wasting/eating your hard-earned money.

I planned to do the night halt in Mundali....a sleepy village situated on the banks of Mahanadi in Cuttack district....this place was nearly 250 Kms. away............

Cool breeze was blowing on the NH but I decided to close my windows as noise needs to be seen not heard ....

On the way, nearly 50 Kms. away from Brahmapur, I noticed a small Notice Board, written in Odia but depicting the photograph of a big Turtle. I thought, why they have put Turtles on Notice Board...stopped my Dzire and asked a chaiwallah about the significance of Turtle.

He pointed towards a dusty road and said Rushikulya. This conversation happened one way as the chaiwallah was replying in Odia while I was asking in Hindi........ the jolly good fellow understood Hindi but the problem was my little knowledge in Odia.  It is a good thing that names are always the same in all languages.

 Rushikulya ....Rushikulya........This word ringed a a bell in my head as I knew that it is  a small river in Ganjam and Kandhmal district of Odisha but the dusty road off the highway indicated by Chaiwallah seemed miles away from any river. Nevertheless, I veered my vehicle towards that road,travelled few Kms. and reached the last motorable point on this road. One small fishing village was located here & some villagers guided me towards sea shore where some wild dogs were playing Kabaddi on sand.After walking nearly 500 mts. through mangroves  and small streams/ponds, I reached on the sea beach. The view was magical, mesmerizing up to some extent.......the azure blue waters and formation of small lakes on the sea bed right on the beach was ideal location for indulging in water sports. But, infrastructure was nil.

I think, this is good for this particular beach as the development brings its own side -effects .........this virgin purity  of beach is seductive.

Through sign language and some broken Hindi of villagers, I came to know that this sea beach hosts few thousands Olive Ridley Turtles who lay their eggs after nearly 50 days of incubation period. Young turtles walk back to sea after tasting local sand.I guess, turtles also love the pure virginity of this beach and that's why they come in groups to enjoy the atmosphere.Who said that Turtles can not have some fun ? They do have fun, once you see this idyllic beach, you will swear by my word.

However,some turtles get killed every year by dogs,pigs,eagles or other wild animals human included. Though turtle meat is not tasty, local people love the eggs, so sometimes they eat it.I heard, some NGO is trying to protect these small creatures.

After spending few minutes running  on the sand and identifying the mouth of Rushikulya river, my Jeans was loaded with sand and salty water. But, it was fun, smelling the sweat mixed with fresh water of Rushikulya as well as salty water of Ocean. Enjoyed the outing on beach and then dried my clothes bang on the beach using a tree as cloth hanger. Drank some litres of mineral water to get back the lost calories. Who says that water doesn't posses calories....run for few Kms. on the beach and then drink cold as well as sweet water...it will fill up calories in your 02 lungs.

I came back to my Dzire...ran the AC on full swing....started FM Radio...and GPS in my cell phone and zoomed towards NH 5......in the process I created cyclonic waves of dust in my trail and I know some of the road users/inhabitants must have abused me in choicest language. But, I don't care because abusing me in Odia can not affect my rhythm  as I only accept abuses in my mother tongue i.e. Maithili.......other languages I send back to the original owner.

So, NH 5 came in jiffy........speed is thrill...some people say  it also kills....but I am an admirer of Michael Schumacher.....if he can survive regularly at  the speed of 350 Km/hr. in his Ferrari then I am entitled to at least 140 Km./hr. in my Maruti. So, this was the maximum speed gained by me on this particular highway on that day.After nearly 2 hrs. of chasing big trucks and buses , I took a pit stop break to drink coconut water as well as empty my bowels. Did some stretching exercises and zoomed again.

Again, noticed an information board depicting a mountain spring named Nirmaljhara near Khalikote. I turned my wheels towards road to Nirmaljhara after getting a little information from a passerby. Reached the place in 15 minutes as road was metallic and in pretty good shape.

Nirmaljhara consists of a perennial stream originating from mountains and a small pond was created. A vishnu temple has been constructed on the foothilss of a small hillock encompassing this perennial stream within its boundary wall. It was a clean and  fresh structure simply constructed which intensified the healing properties of fresh water.   Soaked the coolness of water and drank it, it tasted good, this was pure mineralized water manufactured by God himself. Hills which surrounded this place were spread all-around in square-like shape. I loved the simplicity of this place.

Now, resumed my journey and it was lunch time. Reached a place called Rambha around 1400hrs. on the banks of Chilika lake....I have explored this lake several times so I had no desire to do so now. But, this part of Chilika which falls in Ganjam/Khurda  district is famous for brackish water tiger prawns. Brackish water is a technical term...do not look for the meaning in google.......it simply means mixture of  fresh water and salt water.......this mildly salty water is home to some of biggest prawns in India. I have no idea,why it is called tiger  prawn but it doesn't look like tiger nor it can eat you....I assure you.

I went to a Panth Nivas Guest House which is owned by Odisha Tourism Department and  ordered lunch of prawns.In this hotel they prepare food on demand only, so the waiting period is long. Chief cook told/showed me the special process of cooking tiger prawns ....he ordered some fisherman to get prawns from Chilika......within 15 minutes it arrived from his farm inside chilika...he took out the upper cover...boiled it ...deep fried it and mixed it with nearly 100-150 grams of various spices and did some magical work on Gas stove......boiled  finest quality of Basmati rice.......prepared some Aloo bhujia and served me hot and spicy along with some green salad..............

Didn't I told you about magic earlier....I have eaten so many prawns in nearly all sea-facing states of India during last 06-07 years but this damn prawn was so tasty...so delicious........how can a simple insect like prawn be so damn good........here comes the magical hands of my loveable cook who took so much pain in serving only one group of  guests........

I became envious that other persons will also eat same tasty food in future cooked by this wonderful cook. Now, I realize why Shahjahan ensured that hands of engineers/architects/labourers are cut brutally so that another Taj Mahal can not be created !

This whole cooking and eating session lasted for nearly 2 hrs. But these were well-spent 2 hrs., it was a paisa-vasool moment.After eating, I took a quick stroll on jetty of Chilika and exchanged pleasantries with lake goddess...thanked her for producing such delicious insects.......prayed that number of such insects grow exponentially.

Now, had a short tea session to digest prawns and again embarked on the journey towards Cuttack.

Reached Cuttack by 1900 hrs. .......stayed at a friend's place .........had tea and very short dinner session...it was just a formality as prawns were still holding the fort in my stomach. It was the end of activities for 21st March 2013.......slept for next 09 hrs........

Sleeping is infectious.......feels like sleeping now........will tell the next events in my next blog...

Till then....have fun....enjoy the weekend......You can even watch Lunch Box or Phata Poster Nikala Hero..............see you later.....bye for now

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing .. feel very close to ur writing with reading your blog. Hope your volume IV will come very soon.
    I will be regular reader of your writing by now


    Hope all is well there

    Nripendra

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel like im enjoying the journey ,,,,,,free from jargon and close to simplicity...its impossible not to love this.................just like an energetic countryside tour that refreshes mind, body and soul .........thanks for the trip Sir waiting for next one

    ReplyDelete
  5. Refreshing and engaging though i disagree with u in calling prawns an insect. Not accepting 'gali' in phoren dialect is educative. Keep it up bro.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never thougt the 4th part will come so soon after the third one .. and it was great start to sunday morning.and the vivid description of rustic odisa is making me also to try out a road trip with you... thanks for reminding the mahbharat days ..Nostalgic sunday ... although i never liked eating prawns but calling them insect is like calling thanedar a hawaldar...

    regarding your writings its been always pleasure,refreshing to read you blogs ..they are different and thats what makes me to crave for more .. so just a suggestion like Sunday editions of newspaper ..if we can get sunday morning blogs from you ..it will be a perfect start to sunday morning with hot cup of tea....

    Keep writing,and finally reading your blog really made me feel what Augustine once said "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.".

    Gracias
    Vikalp

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks that Shahjahan era has gone, otherwise we were going to find amputated hands of people on your journey route. I have not read such a selfish statement ever in a very hilarious style.

    Enjoyed reading your writing as usual. As suggested by Vikalp, I second it that you do write every saturday so that we may get some new insight about Journeys every sunday.

    God bless you.
    keep writing.
    Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great first hand experiences brother, keep writing. Enjoyed your detailed knowledge about the prawns. Still wondering how one can sleep in Levis?? Also add some snaps of your journey, because the route u took, i am sure must have been very beautiful, and above all any route has its own share of enchanting locations waiting to clicked by a Roady like us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also heard a lot about these Jumbo Prawns and tried Once in Hong Kong but did not like much. One thing is sure, this creature need respect in cooking. Everyone can not cook this meat. I heard a lot about Chilka and their prawns from my Odia roomates. I will keep this place in my radar to visit..

    Good Post Dilip. Keep writing.

    Shashi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chakravyuh : A moviegoer's opinion about Naxalism and beyond

Yesterday I went to a theatre .......Kesri in Bhubaneshwar ...It possess a large  70 mm. screen equipped with Dolby-Digital sound system & a big campus. It is  a classical single-screen theatre having the old world charm of movie-watching experience along with a dedicated team of ticket blackeers which are a hallmark of small-town India. The omnipresent blackeers signify the  economic theory of mismatch between Demand and supply. There are nearly 10,500 single-screen theatres in India in addition to approximately 900 multiplex screens.But the revenue share of multiplex is around 65% whereas single-screen theatres contribute only 35% . To put facts in perspective , a balcony ticket costing Rs. 80 in Kesari(Bhubaneshwar) is available with blackeer at a premium cost of Rs. 250, same amount which you will normally pay in PVR  in NCR of Delhi. Here comes the role of blackeers as they devour all the Rs. 170 on every ticket in collaboration with cinema owner.It is ...

Fistfight between friends - Part VI

  Dear readers, At the outset, I wish to clarify that this sixth part of the story is the last one in this series. The fight, which we had nearly 10 years back was a hazy picture in my mind earlier. When ,I wrote the first part, I was looking for the introduction,main body as well as other ingredients of the story. I had no idea how to write a readable story. So, I decided that I will write first and think later. Thinking is the biggest hurdle in the path of story-telling. I decided to take inspiration from story-writer of Salman Khan. This man is made of stainless steel . He wrote some of the worst stories ever in the annals of Hindi film history. Dabangg, Ready & Bodyguard........but these three films are also the biggest revenue-earner in Bombay. In fact,Body Guard earned 21 Crore on the opening day itself. There is an old saying in Benars,that you can not fool all the people all the time. But, this bugger has made a fool of us time and again.So, I decided to write ...